SEARCH CORKYSAINTCLAIR BLOG

Sunday, January 17, 2010

COPY

I am currently reading Malcolm Gladwell's 'What the Dog Saw' which is a collection of articles he published in the New Yorker magazine. I always enjoy Gladwell's writing, he tells his stories so leisurely but you know he's always working to some punchline.

I guess the essay I found most interesting was his discussion of intellectual property and whether 'plagiarism'is always counterproductive or whether it can be considered some kind of 'dialogue'. As an example he shows us that Nirvana's "Feels Like Team Spirit" is pretty much a direct copy of Boston's "More than a feeling" but argues that despite the 'plagiarism' Nirvana created something new "brilliant and urgent" that was a real step forward in "the evolution of rock". 



No comments:

Subscribe

Subscribe

BIO

My photo
I like rainbows, crystals, coloured pencils, swimming, manifesting, visualising, poetry, going out for breakfast, graphic novels, air conditioning, miniature anything, clothing made from synthetic fabrics, travelling, travelling, staying in nice hotels, headphones, husbears + soft hands. I don't like people who make me feel tired.

Corky's Fan Box

Corky on Facebook

ARCHIVE

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed