SEARCH CORKYSAINTCLAIR BLOG

Saturday, January 09, 2010

SEELE


I saw the words 'soul food' which I have learnt means 'home cooking' which for me travelling and eating odd, dry salads means 'very good'. So I went down this weird alleyway covered in decades of stinky, angry street art. Alas the 'soul food' turned out to be an indie film showing at a tiny indie cinema at the end of the alley. There was also a hip hop bar and The Anne Frank Museum. 

In this tiny indie microcosm the best thing of all was a strange printed matter shop - Neurotitan. Imagine Sticky without the jolly ladies and weird indie boys - but with bitter, funny magazines, books, posters and tshirts. And the owner was smoking - that's always a sign of hardcoreness when a shopkeeper smokes in their own shop.

Yeah, more than anyone I understand your shop is actually your home but its a really confident move imagining people are OK with smoking in their presence. The vibe in the shop was weird. I kinda wanted to ask the owner why there was no music then I realised he was playing the strangest 'noise' music - guess trance wasn't gonna cut it there. (Why do all shops in Berlin regardless of how cool they are play endless eurotrance - it is deeply disturbing!)

I bought a supercute screen print of an alien playing an animorphic keyboard that seemed to be experiencing an ecstatic moment at having the right keys played, a book printed in two colours that seems to be about the forest raping humans, and a poster of a naked lady with different weird drawings of icons around Berlin, animals and Michael Jackson.


No comments:

Subscribe

Subscribe

BIO

My photo
I like rainbows, crystals, coloured pencils, swimming, manifesting, visualising, poetry, going out for breakfast, graphic novels, air conditioning, miniature anything, clothing made from synthetic fabrics, travelling, travelling, staying in nice hotels, headphones, husbears + soft hands. I don't like people who make me feel tired.

Corky's Fan Box

Corky on Facebook

ARCHIVE

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed